Water Treatment Plant


water-head2.jpg

water-img1.jpg

The original water treatment plant for the City of Napoleon was designed in 1915. It was constructed and put into operation about 1920. The plant was constructed along with and adjacent to the old power and light plant which was located at the corner of Riverview and Haley Streets. After completion of the new power plant, the original plant was demolished to make way for extensions of the power plant. The power plant was closed in the mid 70's because of environmental issues and was finally demolished in 1998.

The original water plant was designed for purification of the City water supply from the Maumee River using coagulation, sedimentation and rapid sand filtration with no provisions for softening.

Three filters were used each having a capacity of one-half (0.50) million gallons per day or a total of 1.5 MGD rated plant capacity. Mixing basins, settling basins, clearwell and filter building housing chemical feeders, chemical storage, office and small laboratory were all part of the original plant. Raw water pumps and high service pumps were housed in the power plant side of the facility. A standpipe 20 feet in diameter and approximately 125 feet high was constructed on the site north of the plant for finished water storage. A 36 inch diameter river intake was constructed in a tunnel from the pump suction well adjacent to the power plant facing Riverview Avenue. This intake served both the water plant and power plant with water for a period of approximately 50 years with few changes or improvements.

In early 1961 a 750,000 gallon elevated tank was constructed in the vicinity of the City's industrial area. the City at the same time employed Jones, Henry & Williams to prepare plans and specifications for a high service pumping station to be located on the site near Haley Avenue and Welsted Street so designed to be part of a complete water softening plant to be constructed in the future.

During construction of the pump station, piping revisions were made so one of the existing pumps could be used as a wash water pump, when the existing sandpipe was taken out of service as an elevated tank. The standpipe is still used today as a wash water tank, however during construction of the pump station leaks were discovered in the top 10 five foot sections of the standpipe. To solve this problem the leaking sections were removed reducing the height of the tank from 125 feet to its present height of 75 feet.


water-head3.jpg

water-img2.jpg

Early in 1963 a report was submitted by the engineers with recommendations of plant capacity and facility design necessary to treat the Maumee water. The City authorized the plans and construction was underway by the fall of 1964. The plant design was based on a modified conventional type of lime soda-ash softening with additional facilities to meet the treatment requirements of the rivers extreme physical and chemical characteristics, along with the seasonal and daily variations.

The construction of the new water treatment plant was finished late in 1965 and after inspection and testing of the new facilities, the plant went online.



water-head4.jpg

Rated Capacity: 4.5 MGD with provisions for future expansion.

Raw Water Source: Maumee River using present intake facility with a capacity of 9 MGD.
Clearwell: Capacity of 1,000,000 gallons of finished water.

Filters: 4 Rapid Sand Filters with a capacity of 1.125 MGD at 2 gal./sq.ft./min.

Flash Mix Basins: 2 @ 2.25 MGD each - Detention time 0.9 minutes - Parallel flow.

Flocculation Basins: 2 @ 2.25 MGD each - Detention time 58 minutes - Parallel flow.

Settling Basins: 2 @ 2.25 MGD each - Detention time 4 hours - Parallel flow.

Provision for Series Flow: through Mixing, Flocculation and settling Basins.

Recarbonation Basin: 1 @ 4.5 MGD - Detention time 30 minutes.

Chemicals: Bulk storage for Lime, Soda-Ash, Alum, Carbon Dioxide. Bag storage for all others.
Chemical Feeders: 2 Lime Slakers, 2 1500 gal. PVC Alum tanks with 2 metering pumps, 2 Soda-Ash feeders, 2 Carbon feeders, 6 Ton Carbon Dioxide System, 2 150 lb. Gas Chlorinators.

Wash Water: 176,625 gal. Standpipe with wash water pump for filling and capacity to provide emergency wash water when the tank is out of service.

Intake Facility: Includes 2 Traveling Water Screens, 2 Low Service Pumps @ 4.5 MGD.
Standby Emergency Generators The Water Plant and Intake are equipped with generators for emergency operation of the facilities.

Lime Sludge Lagoons: 3 Lagoons with the capacity of 500,000 gallons each.

Washwater Basin: 50 foot diameter Basin with 300,000 gal. Capacity for three filter washes.

water-head5.jpg

water-img3.jpg

Early in 1963 a report was submitted by the engineers with recommendations of plant capacity and facility design necessary to treat the Maumee water. The City authorized the plans and construction was underway by the fall of 1964. The plant design was based on a modified conventional type of lime soda-ash softening with additional facilities to meet the treatment requirements of the rivers extreme physical and chemical characteristics, along with the seasonal and daily variations.

The construction of the new water treatment plant was finished late in 1965 and after inspection and testing of the new facilities, the plant went online.